The British Embassy in Amman is launching a new initiative to give young women in Jordan the chance to experience diplomatic work first hand and join a network of female leaders to advocate for gender equality and social inclusion in Jordan.
The new ‘Ambassador For A Day’ competition marks International Women’s Day on 8 March 2023 (IWD 2023) and celebrates the UN theme ‘DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality’ and promoting a gender equal world to embrace equity.
This initiative provides an exciting opportunity for young women to experience diplomatic and advocacy work for equality and change, while gaining leadership skills.
British Ambassador Bridget Brind said:
I am delighted to launch this initiative, which seeks to promote the inclusion and greater participation of women in society, to help them fulfil their potential and contribute to better outcomes for all.
The British embassy is committed to empowering the young women of Jordan to make a positive difference. This initiative is known as ‘Ambassador for a Day’ but we are also encouraging young women to become ‘leaders for a lifetime’.
All young women aged 18 to 25 years old are eligible to apply. The competition is open from 8 March until 27 April 2023. The winners will ‘shadow’ the British Ambassador and the embassy’s fantastic female leadership team for a day.
The winners will also be invited as guests to an event organised by the British Embassy in Amman along with senior representatives from stakeholder organisations in Jordan.
We encourage young women living in Jordan and from all backgrounds to apply.
We encourage applicants to think creatively and use IT and digital skills as creatively as possible. A selection of the top content submitted will be posted on the @UKinjordan social media channels.
How to enter ‘Ambassador for a Day’ competition
Why enter this competition?
Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. Today there are too few women in international public life, including women from under-represented backgrounds, whether ethnic, religious, economic, cultural, or personal identity, among others. Women are under-represented in political and business sectors. We want to ensure equality of opportunity and equitable outcomes for everyone.
This is why we are encouraging young women in Jordan to make their voices heard on topics that affect us all.
The UK and Jordan have much to learn from each other and through sharing expertise to ensure women and girls can reach their full potential around the world. We will encourage the winners to become leaders and advocates for change by offering them the opportunity to take a look behind the scenes of the British Embassy in Amman.
Who can enter
Women can enter this competition if, at the time of applying, you are:
- living in Jordan
- aged between 18 to 25 years old
Relatives of British embassy staff are not eligible to apply.
How to enter
All candidates must answer the following question:
If you were Ambassador for a day, what steps would you take to promote gender equality in Jordan?
Record a video up to a maximum limit of 1 minute and 30 seconds. It must be suitable for social media. You can use a mobile phone or tablet to record the video. The content can be in English or Arabic.
You should share your video, recorded by a mobile phone or other device, on either Twitter, Facebook or Instagram by tagging ‘@UKinJordan’ and using the hashtag ‘#UKAmb4aDay’. The deadline to apply is 5pm on 27 April 2023. Top content may be selected and published on @UKinJordan social media channels:
You can also email your video to: UKAmb4aDay@gmail.com
Winning candidates will be contacted through direct messaging or email. You should provide your:
- date of birth
- copy of photo ID
- email address
- telephone number
- use facts, statistics and figures as evidence to support your statements
- use interesting and impactful visuals and think about recording in an interesting location
- is there someone who has influenced your work or someone you see as a role model?
- identify the problems and suggest strong solutions to tackle them
- use animations and sounds and digitally edit your video to make it more engaging
- do not make your video longer than 1 minute and 30 seconds
Competition terms and conditions
- the British Embassy in Amman will select the winner, who will be contacted and announced on @UKinIndia social media channels by 10 May 2023
- only 1 entry per participant will be accepted. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified. The British embassy’s decision is final and no correspondence relating to the above will be possible
- by applying to the competition, participants transfer the copyright ownership of their videos to the British embassy
- the British embassy may use these videos to produce content for future communication on its social media channels
- participants should not share personal details in their video, post or tweet. The British embassy is not responsible for the data that participants make public on these platforms